On the Israeli side, 63 soldiers and three civilians have died. Shelling killed dozens of people in southern Gaza hours into the truce, which began at 8:00 am (0500 GMT) Friday and had been due to last 72 hours. Hamas accused Israel of breaking the short-lived ceasefire, while the Jewish state said it was responding to militant rocket fire. The chances of a durable truce seemed as remote as ever after the presumed capture of the Israeli soldier. The military also announced that two soldiers had been killed in the same incident near the southern city of Rafah. “Our initial indications suggest a soldier has been abducted by terrorists in an incident where terrorists breached the ceasefire,” according to army spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Peter Lerner. View gallery Palestinian motorists pause to inspect an Israeli shell laying unexploded in the central gaza town o He said a suicide bomber blew himself up, adding that first reports “indicate that a soldier was seized”.
For the original version including any supplementary images or video, visit http://news.yahoo.com/gaza-truce-collapses-wave-violence-234934956.html